March 2, 2010

Making the most of it

Damn this cat and his eternal optimism! Why can't I be like him? I don't know if I'm just not cut out for my job or if my job is not cut out for me, but whatever the situation is, I know for a fact that this is just not working like it should. Spending 8 full hours sitting at a desk and staring at a screen is starting to make me feel like a zombie slug. On top of that, I can't bring myself to care about what I am doing any more than it takes to be just efficient enough to get by. I am usually passionate about everything I do, but I just can't get behind this adminitrative stuff (who can??)

 Lucky for me, I am already enrolled in my yoga teacher training program, I will start in May, and if I play my cards right, I will be able to make enough $$ teaching yoga to quit this mismatched job of mine.

But, for the time being, I am stuck here, staring at this screen. All.Day.Long. That is part of the reason I started this blog, to provide a momentary escape from the tediousness of my work. I also have a few other ways of making my day a little more enjoyable:


  • Listening to my favorite music on Rhapsody while I work
  • Listening to story telling themed radio podcasts like This American Life or The Moth when I am doing something that requires little thought
  • Taking a walk when I can get away from my work for a little bit
  • Subscribing to newsletters in things that interest me such as nutrition, cooking and yoga so that I can keep in touch with what's new in those areas
  • Exercising and doing yoga when I get home
None of this makes up for the fact that I am spending the majority of my day doing something that I do not enjoy at all, but it does make me feel like I still have some sort of identity other than the dreaded zombie slug, not to mention, it keeps my brain occupied until 5 o'clock rolls around.

If anyone out there who's reading this has any awesome suggestions for how to cope with a boring job, PLEASE, be my savior and put them in the comments section! Here's to a more positive tomorrow :)


2 comments:

Laura said...

You could be my twin. I'm living a very similar life style and I love yoga and had always wish I would be good enough to teach it. I sit behind my desk and days don't realize a full hour went by for I did more work. I stared in to the computer screen, in some kind of daze. I find it hard to be there even though I have a good job and I'm happy to have one, I feel like I'm trapped because it's a good job. I wish I could help. All I can say is before you have kids take a leap and see what happens. If you have kids well you might be stuck until something really great comes along. Gotta take care of your babies.

Jessi B. said...

Hi Laura, it's nice to hear that I'm not alone in feeling this way :) I am definitely waiting to have kids until I can make enough $ teaching yoga to quick this job, because like you said, once there's a baby, it's a lot harder to justify leaving a good stable job!